It can be quite difficult figuring out what dinner to make in the winter that your kids will want to eat. When you’re tired of making the same thing over and over but want a warm and comforting meal, this is for you and your family. Broccoli cheddar soup is not a new concept by any means, but it is a fan favorite, without a doubt. Not only is it filling and delicious, but it also has veggies combined in it so it has plenty of much-needed nutrients. And besides, it has cheese! Who doesn’t love cheese? It’s the perfect cold-weather meal to make for you and the whole family!
What You’ll Need
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small diced white onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk – feel free to use whichever kind you want
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and stir it frequently until it becomes translucent. This will take 5 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and cook until it smells strong, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the butter and all the flour.
- Whisk the mixture until properly combined and it becomes somewhat of a paste. Let it cook for about a minute.
- Slowly add in the milk while whisking.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pot and lower the heat to a simmer. Allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and continue letting it simmer until the vegetables soften. About 15 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and mix in the cheese until it melts.
- Serve and enjoy!